Last night I finally got round to upgrading my Win XP VMWare image from IE8 beta to the production release. A bit slack on my behalf as the browser was released about 3 weeks ago. Still, I’d been testing websites in the beta release and all was cool.
Well, that’s what I thought. Last night I discovered that my company website, no longer worked. Looking into the problem this morning, I discovered that the culprit was a jQuery plugin that renders rounded/curvy corners.
I looked at a few other plugins, but none seemed to work. After a bit of Googling, I cam across an interesting blog entry from the guys at filmanentgroup, who are heavily involved in developing the jQuery UI API.
The idea is that this code be used for browsers that don’t (yet) support CSS3 border radius. However, Drew has included an option to also render the CSS3 syntax for those browsers that support this feature.
I’ve now updated my site to use Drew’s code with CSS3 syntax support. This works in IE6, IE7, IE8, Safari, FireFox and Chrome. It doesn’t yet work in Opera, but this is only a matter of time (and perhaps a code update). If you want to support Opera, you can simply use conditional comments.